About Me

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cover it up or Let it all hang out??


After a grueling 20 hour bus trip from central Bali to central Java (plus boat ride), we finally exited the air conditioning and entered one of the hottest temperatures I've endured. My new nick name on this trip is 'Sweaty Emi' because I sweat like a pig in the humidity. It took me about ten minutes to remember we were in Muslim land when the cyclist transported us in his carriage. I wondered how he could ride a bike in this heat, let alone carry the weight of two human beings and a bag! I noticed people staring at us - I assumed it was because of the color of our skin. But then I remembered... Muslims cover up. Their arms. Their heads. Pretty much all of their skin. It was too late at this point because I couldn't get into my luggage to grab a shirt. I'm pretty sure if I did put a shirt over my tank top I probably would have fainted from the unfamiliar weather. The fatigue, heat and culture difference but me in an intimidated place. I don't even like when people stare at me at home, let alone a foreign country. Just when I was feeling uncomfortable about the whole thing, I looked to my left and saw a man with a huge hole in his pants flaunting his entire package! If that isn't irony, I don't know what is...

No comments: